Thursday, May 4, 2017

Ten top campus novels

Jean Hanff Korelitz's latest novel is The Devil and Webster.

One of her top ten campus novels, as shared at the Guardian:
The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach

I had two reasons to think I wasn’t going to like this novel. First: jealousy. (The book was the subject of a massive bidding war and insane pre-publication hype.) Second: baseball, around which the plot revolves. I couldn’t care less about baseball. But of course it isn’t really about that. It’s about love. And family. And ideas. And it’s beautifully written. I couldn’t help it: I succumbed. You probably will, too. (Especially if you like baseball.)
Read about the other books on the list.

Also see Emily Temple's list of the fifty greatest campus novels ever written.

--Marshal Zeringue