Saturday, November 15, 2014

Four books that changed Libby Gleeson

Libby Gleeson is the Australian author of many books for children and teenagers.

One of four books that changed her, as shared at the Sydney Morning Herald:
LIVES OF GIRLS AND WOMEN
Alice Munro

I was living in London trying to reinvent myself as a writer when someone in a feminist group I was in handed me this. I was blown away. Del Jordan is growing up in Jubilee, a small town in rural Ontario. She feels different from other townspeople but sees her future as becoming like them. The moment she chooses to leave, to make another life away from the town and the boyfriend, is revelatory. I empathised fully as a country girl in western NSW who had chosen to leave for university and travel.
Read about the other books on the list.

--Marshal Zeringue