Sunday, July 27, 2014

Five books that changed Dav Pilkey

Dav Pilkey has written and illustrated numerous popular, award-winning books for children, including the Captain Underpants and Dumb Bunnies series.

One of five books that changed him, as shared with the Sydney Morning Herald:
Where the Wild Things Are - Maurice Sendak

This was the first book to have a huge effect on me. My mother wouldn't let me read it because she thought the scary-looking creatures would give me nightmares. My church library had a copy, though, and I'd sneak it every chance I got. There was something wonderfully forbidden about this experience. I had to hide behind a desk to read it, and the thrill of getting caught made the book seem even more exciting. As an adult, I appreciate this book even more. The illustrations seem just as groundbreaking today as they were when the book came out more than 50 years ago.
Read about the other books on the list.

Where the Wild Things Are is among Molly Schoemann-McCann's five favorite fictional creatures, Michael Rosen's six best books, Jessica Ahlberg's top ten family-themed picture books, Edward Carey's top ten writer/illustrators, Sara Maitland's top ten books of the forest, and Anthony Browne's six best books.

--Marshal Zeringue